Friday, August 3, 2012

Head and beak attached!

Wow, he's nearly done!  After receiving some marvelous advice from the Puppets and Stuff forum, I used contact cement to attach the foam of the beak to the foam of his head and then hand stitched the fabric.  His beak feels nice and secure and moves freely.   I think he's coming along quite nicely!  All I really need to do now is add a few finishing touches like eyes, plumage and possibly some added details to his beak to cover the imperfections.




You can see his body a bit better in these images as well.  I think the two-toned look worked out quite well, even if it was improvised at the last minute due to a lack of fabric!




I tried to give the arms and hands a wing-like look.  I wish I would have tapered the darker sections towards the bottom,  but I barely scraped by with the fabric I had!  As a result, he has quite a few more seams than I originally envisioned, even one running down his spine!  That is because between two old jackets, I didn't have a single unbroken surface that was large enough for the pattern.



 The two panels of his back were the sleeves of the second jacket, cut into flat pieces and sewn together.  And the hands are separate pieces, as well.  His body is comprised of 9 pieces of fabric!  I didn't use any of the original jacket seams, and those jackets had a lot of seams!



 Oh, and I haven't yet secured the foam body to the fabric.  Any advice on that front would be appreciated.



I think he wound up with a nice profile!

No comments:

Post a Comment